- 3 cups extra fine sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 tablespoon good quality vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 oz sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease 3 pans with shortening, then flour, tap out excess flour.
- Cream butter on medium high using paddle attachment for a few minutes until fluffy
- Slowly add sugar until fluffy, 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape bowl occassionally.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat. Scrape down bowl.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt
- Add flour mixture and sour cream.
- Mix on low until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans. Smooth evenly. Do not tap.
- Bake 35 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Place pan on baking rack, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Turn over on rack.
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 lbs. 10x powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of good vanilla extract
- Melt butter, brown sugar, and evaporated milk over medium heat.
- Cook two minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla
- Add powdered sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
* You can make your own extra fine sugar by grinding regular white granulated sugar in a blender, food processor, or spice grinder.
* An equal amount of buttermilk can be substituted for the sour cream in this and other recipes.
* If this frosting is too sweet, add a 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt to the recipe. The large salt crystals will counter the sweetness.
I tried your cake today! It was WONDERFUL! I got compliments all around! But gave u all the credit!